What is Neuropathy?
Neuropathy is a life-altering condition caused by damage to the nerves outside of the brain and spinal cord, which can create a variety of discomforting symptoms. The source of this problem is frequently diabetes.
At the Shreveport Pain Clinic, we provide treatment that can help to successfully awaken “sleeping nerves” and restore them to their normal function. We create a customized treatment plan for you, ensuring that you experience the best possible care for the unique ways in which you are affected by neuropathy.
Symptoms of Neuropathy
We effectively treat the following symptoms of neuropathy:
- Inability to sleep, drive, use hands, or stand and walk due to poor balance
- Pain, numbness, and tingling in the hands or feet
- Muscle weakness in the arms or legs
It is important to start treatment early. If you are unsure if you suffer from neuropathy, we encourage you to set up an appointment with a doctor.
Neuropathy Treatment Methods
- Physical Therapy Treatment for Neuropathy – Physical therapy is a very effective treatment aimed at helping patients restore, recover, maintain, or improve their physical functionality.
- Flexibility and Strengthening Exercise Programs – These begin with gentle stretching to relieve muscle pain and tightness. They then gradually move from very light movements to more advanced exercises that strengthen the muscles and produce long lasting benefits.
- Electrical Nerve Stimulation – This includes transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation (TENS). Electrodes are placed on the affected area to gently stimulate nerves and help alleviate pain.
- Ultrasound – High-frequency sound waves are used to create heat deep in the muscle tissue, alleviating pain and reducing swelling and inflammation.
- Anticonvulsants – These medications can be used to block calcium channels used by neurons in order to greatly reduce pain.
- Topical Medications – Medications such as lidocaine and capsaicin can be used to provide pa0tients with immediate relief from pain.